According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average salary for a phlebotomist is $32,710. Salaries may change depending on location, experience and hours worked.
Phlebotomists are skilled health care professionals who have been trained to collect, transport, handle and process blood and other specimens for laboratory analysis using venipuncture and microcollection techniques.
Students will develop skills in performing phlebotomy procedures through didactic training followed by externships (optional).
Florida Gulf Coast University's Phlebotomy Technician program, offered in connection with MK Education, is designed to prepare students for entry level competencies as phlebotomists in hospitals, clinics, blood banks and other health care settings.
· Demonstrate Accepted Professional, Communication, And Interpersonal Skills
· Discuss Phlebotomy In Relation To The Health Care Setting
· Identify The Anatomic Structure And Function Of Body Systems
· Recognize And Identify Collection Reagents Supplies, Equipment And Interfering Chemical Substances
· Demonstrate Skills And Knowledge Necessary To Perform Phlebotomy
· Practice Infection Control Following Universal (Standard) Precautions
· Practice Accepted Procedures Of Transporting, Accessioning And Processing Specimens
· Practice Quality Assurance And Safety
Upon completion of the course, students will be prepared to work as a phlebotomist & be eligible to take the ASCP certification exam
The externship serves as working experience, as well as a reference for future employment.
This program has been upgraded with a 100-hour externship to enable the student to reach the 100 sticks needed to sit for national certification exams. For an additional fee of $450, students have the option to receive hands-on-training at a local clinic through MK Education.
MK Educationhas established relationships with externship site labs nationwide. (both retail and hospital sites) nationwide to provide potential opportunities to complete this externship for all our students.
For more information, contact MK Education at 630-541-3600 ext. 8606 or submit your name and email at the request for info box below, and a representative will get back shortly.